Choosing the best tiles to go with your home design isn’t as easy as one would think. From bathrooms to kitchens to living spaces and even bedrooms, tiles are an integral part of the overall aesthetic and design.
Finding the perfect tile that matches your theme or design can be daunting at first. The great thing about choosing tiles when designing your room is there is a near-endless range of materials and designs to choose from. There are tiles for every room design you can imagine, but you also need to make sure that your tiles are placed evenly. Your contractor should use a tile leveling system during the construction. Here are a few of the most common materials that you’ll encounter when choosing that perfect tile for your floor or wall.
Natural stone is a popular choice and has tons of variety. From the more common sandstone and limestone to the elegant marble, you can find the perfect stone tile for your room design. Popular natural stone tiles are available in most tile depots and home design centres. Here are a few that you may want to consider:
- Marble- Marble, with its elegant veiny pattern, is a favorite not only for living rooms but also for kitchens and bathrooms alike.
- Granite- Granite, with its dark colors and the speckled look, is a popular choice for countertops but may need a bit more maintenance than ceramic or glass tiles.
- Sandstone- Sandstone, with its natural orange and reddish hues, provide some warmth that goes well with bedrooms and living rooms.
- Slate- Slate tiles are usually used as roof tiles; however, they are also used for walls and flooring. Slate comes in different shades of gray and is usually on the darker side of the spectrum, providing a unique feel to any room.
- Alabaster- Alabaster can be considered quite rare. Popular since ancient times, it was mainly used as a material for statues and carvings, but it was also used as the flooring material for temples and churches. It’s still popular for wealthy families.
Glass tiles became a huge trend in the early 2000s and are still a popular choice to this day. With a variety of colors, glass can give your room an artsy and sophisticated feel. Usually common in a room with modern designs, glass tiles have a unique beauty that cannot be matched by any other material. As glass is naturally fragile and delicate, it is not recommended for flooring but is instead used for walls. Glass tiles usually come with an adhesive backing so that you can stick it to your walls with ease.
Faux wood tiles are commonly used to give a room that rustic hardwood look and feel. A lot cheaper and more eco-friendly than using hardwood itself, faux wood tiles are a popular choice for both designers and homeowners alike. Faux wood tiles are affordable, made from either ceramic or porcelain and readily available.
Ceramic tiles may be the most common kind in the market, and with a myriad of colors and designs, you’ll have no trouble finding one that suits your taste. Ceramic is made by baking clay and is often dyed to give it different colors. With its beautiful gloss and variety of colors, ceramic is used as an “all-around” tile that can go in your kitchen, dining area, bathroom, or any other room. Ceramic is cost-effective and offer great value for your money. Most manufacturers and distributors agree that ceramic is the most popular tile material due to its low cost and durability.
When building and desgining a home, you know that your aesthetics will matter in the overall mood. Make the selection easier and know what kind of look you want and work within your budget.